Thursday, December 2, 2010

Making A Silly Mistake

Well it is rightly said, you learn from your mistakes. I can claim that no one understands this statement better that I do. This may sound too hard for the ears but I have an incident as a proof.

It was 27th Nov. 2010 as we went for an evening walk ( just to roam about in the new place; Jumal), there we came across a temple. There was nothing so majestic or anything that would interest you. But, I don't know why temples always catch my sight and especially the bells ties around the places.Keeping the temple to my right, I circled the temple. Ringing the bells here and there. I find this really fun.

Then, there I find two huge bells tied together with a single rope. I run and with some effort, actually with some more than little, grab the rope and enjoy the 'thong thong' sound produced by the bell. Well at times, once is not enough, so I go for a second round fun.... This was really fun and in no time changed to a funny incident

...Then as I turn back, to my utter surprize, there is this guy running towards us as if I had committed some horrible sin. Actually, I had indeed according to him. The guy," Don't you know how to read? See what's written over there, on top." I read, ' The bell is supposed to be rung only at the times of offering  the Bhog (animal sacrifice offered to god by the devotees) .  Anyone, who rings it any other time will have to pay Rs. 52  as penalty.'

HELL NO!!! This is exactly what I felt at that moment. 


I did not have even a single coin with me let alone 52 rupees, neither did Anjana Di. I turned to Ishan Dai. Fortunately, he had Rs. 102 in his pocket and with a look saying, 'YOU IDIOT'  (I felt like one), paid the  offering.


With this funny mistake, which I felt like as if I had committed a terrible sinful deed and would be cursed at the very site, learnt a great lesson for lifetime.

Cultural practices varies from place to place. The way things are interpreted are different everywhere. It is ones perception that justifies the practices; as ringing bell for me was calling god whereas for the others out there, it was disturbing god out of his sound nap.

Upon the inquiry, it was found to be a temple of Dattatrae. The myth says that, Jumla was once a huge lake. Lord Shiva cut the hill and let the water flow out of this place, making it suitable for human settlement. From then this temple stands here as an impression of lord Shiva's feet.

I moved out, with a stupid smile on my face. But a question constantly buzzed on my head, 'Is Rs 52 enough to calm and put back the angry, disturbed God back to sleep for which I was announced guilty and had to pay the penalty to clear my sin account?'

As soon as we were out of the temple premise, I felt a huge relief. We returned to the hotel with laughter and punching lines at one another.

To sum up, I learnt a lot paying Rs 52 and that is what counts the most. On top of that, I have a hilarious incident to share with friends and family as soon as I reach Kathmandu. I paid fine for ringing the bell and that too not any where else but in the temple will serve as good humor for all my audience  Lastly, all's well that ends well.

P.S: Do read or search for an instruction before you ring bells from now onwards. At least , I will... definitely.
:-)

4 comments:

  1. good humor/expressive articulation. look forward seeing more posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start! I am so happy! I am expecting more and regular post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to both of you...will be expecting such feedbacks in up coming blogs as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kaha ko ghanti bajauna pugeko??? but it was really fun reading your story full of humour i read 2 times. loved it. estai estai katha haru post gardai garnu really enjoyed :)

      Delete